2011 was a most difficult, yet most amazing year for our family. It was a year of heartache, a year of changes, and a year of blessings. It was a year that we found ourselves making the most difficult choices, travelling a road that no parent should have to, and yet coming out on the blessed end of the journey. It was a year that we lost and found our little boy, lost and found our other three children as well. It was a year that I would never choose to forget, a year that changed our lives forever.
With the memories of 2011 in mind, I am grateful for how it shaped my relationship with Christ. I am also grateful for the smallest blessings are the ones that kept me going on the most difficult days during the heartache and turmoil. Those smallest blessings are the ones that I want to keep track of this year. Every Monday, I plan to post 20 small blessings that I have experienced through the week.
This week I am grateful for
- Safe holiday travels
- family to spend the holidays with
- a warm, comfortable house to come home to after traveling
- 4 kids who did great during the holiday craziness
- mountains of gifts for the kids
- the people who love my kids enough to give them those mountains
- a one cup coffee pot to replace the pot that died recently
- a new chance to enjoy a warm afternoon cup of coffee while my children play happily
- Samoo’s vocabulary explosion
- a new, big, fat, orange family member named Einstein (or “Mowwww” if you ask Samoo)
- the new computer to help D stay caught up academically
- D’s stability that we have not seen in years
- D’s love for occupational therapy
- the OT that praises D and keeps him motivated while he is there
- the chance to reunite with a friend from HS on our way home from Christmas travels
- the chance for my girls to play with my friend’s little girl
- the McDonald’s gift cards that allow me to take the kids to play occasionally
- the pantry that has food falling out when we open the door because it means there is food in it
- this opportunity to count my blessings
- the fact that it’s ok if I am a day late posting, God still knows what is in my heart
What are you thankful for today and as we enter the new year?